The Wagon Wheel Theatre, a professional non-union theatre located in Warsaw, Indiana is looking for an Assistant Musical Director to join the Artistic staff for our 2017 Summer Season. The ideal candidate is an individual who has a passion for wanting to pursuit musical direction professionally, is self-motivating, has strong piano skills, likes to work with children, and has the ability to multi-task in an extremely busy and fast-paced working environment. The main stage summer season includes: Disney’s Newsies, Footloose, Mystery of Edwin Drood, Young Frankenstein, The Crucible, Into the Woods, and our Encore production is Next to Normal. This position requires a commitment to many long hours of work. The AMD will work very closely alongside the Musical Director. Based upon ability and work ethic, he/she will have the opportunity for more responsibility as the summer continues. Contract start date is a bit flexible, but will start approx. May 12th, 2017. The current contract will run through Young Frankenstein – which closes on July 22nd. However, pending on need and quality of the candidate, a possible extension may become available and would be discussed well in advance. Pay for this position is $400 per week and housing is included.
Responsibilities include – but are not limited to:
- Observing/Assisting the Musical Director during rehearsals with the cast – including teaching music, taking notes, working on administrative projects needed for the music department, and playing for choreography and staging rehearsals for the first four shows of the summer.
- Programming and playing Keyboard 2/Alternative orchestration (Kurzweil PC3X and PC3LE) in the pit orchestra for Disney’s Newsies, Footloose, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, and Young Frankenstein.
- Help with reduction of orchestration/arrangements to fit our pit orchestra which has anywhere from 6 to 12 players – pending the production.
- The AMD will music direct, assist in auditions, and play for the High School Workshop production – yet to be chosen. This production is a full length musical and may also have a pit orchestra made up partially with high school students and partially with professional musicians.
If you are interested in this position, please follow the application requirements below:
- Send a resume that includes your education background, performance experience, private study background, professional goals, and three references with contact information.
- You must also include samples of your piano/keyboard skills, which can either be audio OR video recordings. These can be either existing materials, or you may choose to send something new. Just make sure these items show your true abilities. Please include a variety of styles of playing.
- Recordings/Videos should not exceed more than 20 minutes in length. Please send all application materials to Thomas Stirling at email@example.com no later than March 6, 2017. Once all materials are received, the process will continue with an interview with those candidates who are being highly considered for the position.
Any questions? Please contact: Thomas Stirling, Musical Supervisor/Musical Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.